Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Habitual neglect

Has it really been six months since I updated this blog?!? GEEZ! Time flies!!

So much has happened in the past 6 months....

  • Christmas came and went...The girls absolutely had a blast! Audrey started figuring out the whole Santa thing, and they both LOVED getting gifts. I think Olivia loved ripping the paper more than the gifts, but it was fun anyway! Audrey still asks when Christmas is coming back, and why it has to be over. She also LOVES snow! Every time it snowed this year, we had to take her out to play.
  • I am 80% sure we are going to have to do some sort of speech therapy with Olivia. She does say some words very clearly, and she associates words with objects, but she has a hard time overall.
  • Olivia never sits still!! This kid goes full speed, non stop every minute she is awake.
  • Olivia is the epitome of a momma's girl. If she isn't with me, she is walking around the house yelling, "Mooommmmma" I don't mind, but I am trying to make her a little less dependent, so it doesn't turn into a socialization problem for her
  • I am absolutely in awe of how different the personalities of these two are. I mean DIFFERENT! Audrey was a great baby; Olivia required more attention. I never had to tell Audrey "no" repeatedly, she would test her limits, and learn them quickly; Olivia just laughs and tests limits endlessly!!
  • Audrey is currently in the full blown princess phase, (I hope it's just a phase anyway). I don't really mind the princess stuff, I just want to keep it at pretend play, and limit any "princess" attitude, which is proving difficult right now..
So...that is a brief, very brief, snap shot of the last 6 months.
We are nearing Audrey's 3rd birthday, and we have decided to scale back a little on the "party". It was not an easy decision, we have are dealing with alot right now, and  on top of that Audrey is having some type of stress/anxiety issue lately, so we felt it best to keep things simple. She has transitioned to the 3/4 year old room, started having bad dreams, and having drastic emotional reactions to the simplest things. I am not naive enough to think that all  of these things are "real issues", I know some of them are attention grabbers, and limit testing.  I can tell she is just being over the top when I tell her I can't understand her when she acts like a baby, and she immediately changes her actions.
But sometimes I think she really can't process whatever emotion she may be feeling. I called our pediatrician when I realized she was having the bad dreams more frequently. He knows her personality pretty well, so I felt comfortable talking to him about it. Audrey is a great sleeper....so when she kept waking up, I knew something was up.
 His opinion : Her little imagination is running wild, and she is having trouble processing. Basically...she is thinking alot, and having trouble turning her brain off, which translates into kiddie stress.  Poor kid, she inherited that from her momma! Add that to transitioning at daycare, seeing Olivia occupy 70% of my time, and general 3 year old development...She is just having a hard time.. That's the only way to say it.
We have started ignoring the whining & any and all tantrums. We have switched some things up at home, so I spend more one on one time with her, and I have started implementing "big girl time" where we do crafts, art, play, and on occasion paint our toenails or something similar. It seems to be helping, but we still have bad days.

 I love our pediatrician..seriously love him. He took 20 minutes out of his day to personally talk to me about Audrey instead of having a a nurse call me back, because he knows me & he knew how worried I was.

So....anyway, we are cooking out for Audrey's birthday. Of course her family is coming over, I will decorate, there will be cake and balloons, but I just want her to have fun and PLAY!!!! The following weekend is Easter and we always go out of town, so we will be taking cupcakes up there to celebrate with them, so she will still spend time with everyone.

Overall, the girls get along great. Audrey is very compassionate with Olivia. She is constantly trying to teach her something, "no Livi, that 's not buppy, his name is Mickey". She is the 1st to let me know when Olivia is crying or upset. She will get her the sippy cup.When Olivia is tired, Audrey will take her blanket to her, she even tries to teach her the rules. "No Livi, we can't touch that". If they are separated for any reason, Olivia constantly asks for "Audie", and every morning when Audrey walks downstairs, Olivia screams, yes, screams "Audie!!" She adores her big sister and wants to do everything Audrey does.

Current life status : Our "babies" are one and a half, and three. Our nephews are two and a half and six months. Time seriouslly needs to stand still!!  & we will be havina neice in July! That's alot of kiddos running around :)

No comments:

Post a Comment