Sunday, September 12, 2010

When you know, you know.....

This time 5 years ago (CRAZINESS) I was wrapping up wedding plans, & preparing to marry a pretty amazing man.

Friday, September 17th, Jeremy and I will celebrate our 5 year anniversary (thanks to Nana for babysitting). That sounds absolutely NUTS! It seems like we have only been married 5 minutes, not 5 years. I guess that means I am a VERY lucky and blessed lady! Not only am I lucky enough to come home to my best friend every night, I get to come home to Audrey's dad!

I have dated my fair share of "special" (not the good kind) of guys, and after the last disaster of a relationship, I decided I was done, until I found the "one." I always dated your average "all-american" boy, with dark hair, dark skin, and 6 ft tall. I wasn't quite sure what to think when this little (5'10) blond guy with a few piercings, and his butt hanging out his jeans, asked me out to lunch.... Luckily for me, I went. After that "date", if you count Arby's as a date, I decided he was for me. Those of you who know me, know I ponder and think way too much, but I instantly decided this guy was gonna be mine. Granted I had to wait a few years, as he was dating someone, then I would be "involved" with someone, etc., etc. but I always knew.

I always thought you had to be able to be friends with the person you spend the rest of your life with.... Love is grand and all, but if you aren't friends, love isn't enough.

This guy quickly became one of my best friends. It took him FOREVER to actually ask me out, but he's a slow mover! Ironically, our first date was October Friday the 13th. Several of my friends "warned" me that it was bad "luck", but oh well. I am not the superstitious type, and it paid off.

We overcame obstacles when we were dating, but I think it just prepared us for obstacles in marriage. We got "looks" in public, but I didn't care. It was a little funny to see pictures of us, since he was a "punk skater" type, and I would be in "all american" gear. But, I always blew it off, and giggled at reactions of others. Alot of people seemed to have trouble looking past the outside to the inside (including my parents), but I knew that big heart was under the "scary" facade.

Shortly after our 3rd or 4th date we ran to Petsmart to get my dog some dog food. I was ready to check out, and was having trouble finding Jeremy. I looked over by the adoption area and he was teary eyed at the thought of a poor abused cat not being adopted. Wow! What a guy! This guy was too good to be true. He was an animal lover, was a huge family man, and was wonderful to his momma and granny! He was definitely a keeper.

It is interesting to look back and see how much we have both changed, but the change has definitely been for the best. I love the fact that we have grown together, learned together, and tackled obstacles together. Now we get to raise our beautiful little girl together.

I hope that we can be the role models Audrey deserves, and that she is able to learn the value of marriage and love from us. I want her to look back at her life, and say "I want to havewhat mom and dad have." When she asks me how she will know if "he" is the one, I will tell her to make sure she feels cherished, loved, respected, and to make sure "he" can make her laugh. I want her to look for a man like her daddy, with her grandpa rolled in. When she asks how you "really know", all I can tell her is to listen to her heart, because when you know, you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment