Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Ear infections....

..oh, how I HATE them. Let me explain... We know an ear infection is brewing when Audrey's nose starts running. That is usually followed by 2 days of "crankiness" (sporadic fussiness), two nights of waking up every 3 hours, then a trip to the pediatrician, the antibiotics start, one more night of waking every few hours, diaper rash, then we finally have a happy baby. Repeat every 2 to 3 weeks.
So far, we have completed this cycle 18 times!!! The ear infections have gotten progressively worse since January. The last few have required several different antibiotics, but the last time, Rocephin shots were required; 3 of them to be exact. 6 days later we were back in the pediatrician's office... she is currently fighting her 18th ear infection. RIDICULOUS! It is a terrible feeling to know your kid is in pain and discomfort and know there isn't a thing you can do to help. There are not enough expletive words to describe how I feel about ear infections. If this "ear infection" was a person, "it" would have already suffered a catastrophic beat down from this momma! But, I digress....
Our pediatrician referred us to a Ear, Nose and Throat doctor who ran, what felt like 300 tests. (But everything seems 3 times longer when you are dealing with a fussy baby) Final evaluation: "significant" fluid in the left ear, "moderate" amount in the right ear, mild/moderate hearing "difficulty" and pain. Final recommendation: Tubes.  The doctor was wonderful. He explained the entire procedure to me, showed me the tubes and answered all my questions.

Once we made the E.N.T appointment, we were both hesitant about Audrey having surgery so young.  It was terrifying on so many levels. She is so small, I was worried about anesthesia, and was very concerned that if we started the process so early, she would be plagued with ear problems for years. After the 3 Rocephin shots, I was ready to cave. I just want her to feel better, my fears and concerns do not matter. It took a little while longer for Jeremy, but when ear infection 18 was diagnosed, we were both exhausted, and desperate for her to feel better. She is never tremendously fussy, but we know she isn't herself when she has an ear infection. I refuse to watch her be in pain or discomfort anymore. After the ENT appointment, I called Jeremy, told him what the doctor said, and we decided to schedule the appointment. May 18th  my baby girl will have her 1st "major" medical procedure. She will be 14 months old. That makes me terribly sad, and worried, but I refuse to let her suffer because of my fears or concerns. So, I will suck it up, and hope this makes my baby feel better!! Everyone I have talked to about tubes, says they will help, and the procedure isn't nearly as long or complicated as it sounds. That makes me a little more comfortable signing the consent forms. I am just hoping we can keep her ears clear until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment