Monday, January 24, 2011

Fresh Food.... Duh!

I have been making Audrey's baby and finger food since she started eating them. I want my child to develop healthy eating habits, and make sure she is getting all the vitamins and minerals she needs. Sounds good, right?? The pediatrician LOVES the fact that I use all fresh food, and my sweet girl is healthy as can be.
In my "quest" for all things healthy, I convinced Jeremy to get a physical. Well.... Reality check! My husband has high blood pressure and cholesterol. He is currently on medication for both. He is only 30 years old. We were talking about his follow up appointment last week and I had a minor meltdown. I am "cooking" healthy meals for Audrey and feeding him garbage.(not that he complains). Yay me! So we came up with a plan.

Our plan is a budget/diet decision. Here's the scoop..
I LOVE to coupon, but in reality, there are no coupons for fresh food. Most of the coupons I find are for processed food, cleaning supplies, and personal care. I will continue couponing for cleaning supplies, personal care items, and anything else I can ( I saved $25 Sunday). I will NOT force myself into a corner couponing at the grocery store from this point on! I decided to compromise on the budget like so : I spend $50 a week on groceries, by planning our meals. I look at the sale ads, decide which fresh veggies, etc. are a good price, and plan meals accordingly. I do not shop in the "middle" of the grocery store, avoiding most processed foods. I am the primary cook (well, only cook) in our house, and I will not put my child or husband in danger by contributing to poor health. I also need to be a positive role model in our daughter's life. I will not parent by the "do as I say not as I do" philosophy, so I must lead by example and take better care of myself!! When I was pregnant I was super careful about EVERYTHING I ate, so since we are "trying" I am going to make myself go back into "prep" mode. It seems easier for me to think of it that way, as opposed to thinking of "dieting".

So, basically this is not a "diet"; it is a complete lifestyle change in the Moreland house. I am sure there will be a few "slip ups" after all, I am a true country girl and do enjoy my fried foods, but I am going to give it my best shot!!

No comments:

Post a Comment